When your smile is full of uneven, crooked teeth, you are not going to be happy. You know how bad your smile looks, and that means you have less confidence and self-esteem just knowing the smile looks that way. Orthodontic treatments will certainly help, but you probably do not want to deal with metal braces, rubber bands, and all of that. Besides, looking young is great, but braces can make you look immature.
Thankfully, we offer a great alternative at Westwood Dental Smiles!
Invisalign is a series of clear plastic aligners (similar to comfortable mouthguards) often called “invisible braces.” They gently guide teeth to where they should be, giving you an even, beautiful smile. If you’re wondering if you should choose braces or Invisalign, here are some ways Invisalign is a much better choice.
- No staining from cemented brackets. The metal brackets used by braces are cemented to your teeth. That’s needed so they can pull and push teeth to where they need to be. These will be on your teeth for 2-3 years. A lot can change in that time, including the color of your teeth. When the brackets finally come off, the enamel that had been covered up could look stained (or at least different) from the rest of the enamel. Invisalign does not use any adhesive, least of all cement. The clear plastic aligners will not change the color of any teeth.
- Faster results. Traditional braces are still around because they work. However, it can take a very long time to get the results you want. Exactly how long is different for each person, but in general, you should expect to wear metal braces for 2-3 years. That’s how long they take. It can be even longer if your teeth are in bad shape. The time it takes for Invisalign to work also changes from person to person, but on average, you will only have to use Invisalign for up to a year. Instead of 36 months, you can get the same results in 12. Which would you pick?
- Invisible treatment. Metal brackets and wires are really hard to ignore. When you smile, that’s the first thing people will notice. Invisalign aligners are made from clear plastic. When worn, they are almost impossible to notice.
- Removable for easy cleaning. Whether you go with traditional braces or Invisalign, you have to keep them clean. After all, they are in your mouth and on your teeth. You can get complications and problems if you don’t. Cleaning braces is difficult because there are so many parts to clean and they cannot come out. Invisalign aligners can be removed at any time, so cleaning them is incredibly easy. Just rinse with water and occasionally brush them like you do with your teeth. No special tools are needed.
- No food or drink restrictions. Because braces use metal brackets and wires, you cannot eat certain foods. Tough foods like hard breads, beef jerky, and nuts can damage your braces. Sticky foods like gum, candy, granola bars, and soda are also forbidden because they can get stuck to the metal. No bagels in the morning, no minty gum to keep your breath fresh, and no chips and salsa when you have braces. Invisalign clear plastic aligners are removable, so there are no problems with certain foods or drink. You just take out the aligners, eat normally, clean your teeth, and put them back in.
- Less chance of tooth decay: In any mouth, tiny particles of food and drink are left behind after you eat. The bacteria that cause cavities live off those particles. With braces, it’s easier to get food stuck on your teeth. That’s because those brackets and wires can collect food. When food gets stuck in your braces, you are at a higher risk of tooth decay. Invisalign is easily removed and cleaned. You can take them out when you eat, brush and floss, then put them back on. This means you’ll have a much lower chance at tooth decay compared with braces.
- Less dental office visits. In order to get results from braces, you will need to see your dentist or orthodontist regularly. They need to tighten the wires connecting the brackets every so often. This puts new pressure on your teeth, which guides them to where they belong. With Invisalign, you get several aligners at once visit. Each lasts for a few weeks. When done with one aligner, you simply put in the next one. You still have to come into our Los Angeles, CA dental office from time to time, but much less so than if you had braces. Invisalign can save you time and effort this way.
If you’re ready to skip the discomfort and problems associated with braces, call us at 310-208-4084 or complete this simple questionnaire for your next appointment for Invisalign.